Spit Crystal

Inés Cámara Leret (Spain/UK)

Our bodies create around three-quarters to one-and-a-half litres of saliva per day. And although this clear, odourless liquid is 99.5% water, the remaining 0.5% offers amazing insights into who we are, similar to a complex biological fingerprint. Saliva is anti-viral, anti-fungal, protects tissues, and aids both digestion and mineral production. The artist generated this perfectly-formed crystal from saliva, with assistance from crystallographers and saliva researchers from King’s College, London.

Commissioned by Science Gallery London, and developed in collaboration with expert crystallographers Brian Sutton & Alkistis Mitropoulous, and saliva researchers Jack Houghton, Matthew Blakeley & Lucy Blandford (King’s College London).